Design & Technology

    In the Design and Technology Department at Camden School for Girls we realise the opportunities and intellectual challenge the study of DT offers.

    In years 7, 8 and 9, students study one double period (1 hour and 20 minutes) a week of DT focussing one term each on the 3 main areas of:

    - Food
    -
    Resistant materials
    -
    Textiles

    Pupils learn to develop skills and creativity through a range of design and make assignments creating functional products including pasta making, bags, clocks, soft furnishings and lights.

    At KS4, students have the option of studying Resistant Materials or Textiles for GCSE. This 2 year programme of study aims to develop their skills in a focussed materials area culminating in a major project conducted in Year 11. This major project comprises 60% of the overall GCSE, with the remaining 40% completed as a written examination. See photo gallery for examples of work.

    Select the links below for further information on GCSE Course Description:

    Y10 Resistant Materials
    Y10 Textiles

    Y11 Resistant Materials
    Y11 Textiles
    Y11 Jewellery

     

    At Camden we strongly believe that DT can:

    - Develop creativity and innovation
    -
    Promote understanding of the technological development of society and sensitivity for its continuation in a responsible and sustainable way
    -
    Encourage individuality, originality and creative enterprise
    -
    Provide a framework for reasoning when making choices as consumers of the 21st Century.

    We are committed to providing enjoyable, stimulating and challenging activities for all year groups in an environment in which everyone can feel valued and encouraged. There is a strong ethos of collaborative learning within the subject. We love our subject and know it can be exciting and engrossing.

    Lessons will be varied and include a range of styles and activities including learning through looking, learning through writing, group tasks, individual work and practical activities. Regular and diagnostic assessment will give students the opportunity to assess their own progress and identify how they can improve their Design and Technology skills and understanding.

     

    Curriculum Information:

    Year 7 Year 10 Resistant Materials
    Year 8 Year 11 Resistant Materials
    Year 9  

     

     

    Disney Trip 2015

    Year 9 and 10 design and Technology pupils visited Disneyland Paris to learn how design and creativity are essential in the success of this major theme park attraction.

    During the seminars and Workshops run by experts at Disneyland Camden girls used key engineering, mathematical and blue sky thinking skills to work as future Disney Imagineers, working in teams to meet the challenge of designing a major new attraction for the park! 

    Gallery of images from the trip.